New engine adds snarl to Cadillac XTS
by CanadianManufacturing.com Staff
The twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new Vsport trim line, which will slot in just below the high-performance "V-Series" trim
DETROIT—Cadillac is adding more snarl to its ultra-refined XTS luxury sedan.
Starting in August, an twin turbo V6 will go into production as an optional engine for the 2014 XTS.
The engine is also available on the upcoming all-new 2014 CTS luxury performance sedan.
In the XTS, the twin turbo will produce 410 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. The engine delivers 105 lb-ft more torque over the standard V-6 from 1900 to 5600 rpm, providing seemingly endless torque for vehicle responsiveness.
“The addition of the new Cadillac Twin Turbo expands and elevates the XTS luxury sedan,” said Bob Ferguson, vice-president Global Cadillac. “This is a compelling enhancement to what is already one of the most technically advanced sedans in our history.”
In both the CTS and XTS product lines, the twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new trim line called Vsport, which will slot in just below Cadillac’s elite high-performance “V-Series” trim.
Almost every component in the new engine is unique, including:
- All-new cylinder block casting
- Strengthened connecting rods
- Machined, domed aluminum pistons with top steel ring carrier for greater strength
- 10.2:1 compression ratio
- Patented, integrated charge air cooler system with low-volume air ducts
- Two turbochargers producing more than 12 pounds of boost (80 kPa)
- Vacuum-actuated wastegates with electronic control valves
- All-new direct injection fuel system
- Tuned air inlet and outlet resonators, aluminum cam covers and other features that contribute to quietness and smoothness.
The cylinder heads’ high-tumble intake port design enhances the motion of the air charge for a more-efficient burn when mixed with the direct-injected fuel and ignited in the combustion chamber.
The XTS Vsport model offers upgraded 20-inch wheels and a unique grille, with pricing starting at $63,020 including destination fees.