Hydro Ottawa CEO warns customers about increase in suspicious calls
The utility has received approximately 200 reports since April 17
OTTAWA — In light of continued reports of phone scams in the Ottawa area, Hydro Ottawa is reminding customers to protect themselves from callers posing as utility representatives and threatening to disconnect power.
The utility has received approximately 200 reports since April 17.
Hydro Ottawa says it has been working closely with the Ontario Energy Board, the Ontario Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines, and industry peers to address customer concerns about managing electricity costs during these uncertain times.
Last month, the provincial government announced that it was extending the ban on electricity disconnections for non-payment for all residential customers until July 31, 2020. Low-volume, small business customers will now also be protected by the ban. As of March 18, 2020, Hydro Ottawa has extended that ban to all of its customers. The utility says it is also offering flexible payment options and financial assistance programs that include emergency relief on its website.