Hydro Ottawa warns of scams targeting its customers
Hydro Ottawa encourages customers to protect themselves
OTTAWA — Phone scams continue to plague Hydro Ottawa business and residential customers who have reported receiving calls threatening disconnection unless an immediate payment is made. Hydro Ottawa advises everyone to hang up immediately and call the utility directly. All other telephone numbers provided are fake.
Hydro Ottawa encourages customers to protect themselves and follow these tips to stay safe:
- Never make a payment for a charge that isn’t listed on your most recent bill
- Ignore text messages or emails with suspicious links promising refunds
- Don’t call the number provided to you. Instead, call Hydro Ottawa directly to check the status of your account
- Do not provide any personal information or details about your account
- If you feel threatened in any way, contact 911 or the Ottawa Police Service
Hydro Ottawa reminds all customers that it never threatens to disconnect power immediately, nor does it ask customers to meet its employees at a location to make payment.