Canadian Manufacturing

Safety board wraps up ground investigation of N.B. train derailment

by Aly Thomson, The Canadian Press   

Canadian Manufacturing
Operations Supply Chain Energy Oil & Gas Transportation atlantic disaster rail

Evidence will now be assessed to determine extent of Transportation Safety Board's investigation

PLASTER ROCK, N.B.—Canada’s Transportation Safety Board wrapped up its evidence gathering over the weekend at the site of a fiery train derailment in New Brunswick as CN Rail crews made progress on cleaning up the mess.

Safety board spokesperson John Cottreau said the evidence gathered in the community of Wapske, N.B., would be assessed and officials would then decide the extent of their investigation.

“Depending on what that decision is, that will determine what our next steps will be,” Cottreau said.

CN spokesperson Jim Feeny has said investigators were looking at the possibility that a wheel or axle problem on a freight car was to blame, but no conclusions have been reached.


About 150 people who had to leave their homes Jan. 7 when the 122-car train derailed were allowed back four days later, on Jan. 11, with the exception of one couple whose house is within 100 metres of the derailment.

A CN crew was finally able to extinguish flames that ignited when 19 cars of the freight train jumped the tracks.

The first freight train passed through the derailment site two hours after residents returned to their homes.

Feeny said crews made progress in cleaning up the site over the course of the weekend.

“Cleanup is progressing as planned, including the beginning of the transfer of the four remaining tankers that are on the site,” said Feeny.

It wasn’t known when the last couple would be able to return to their home, he said.

The rail company is promising to compensate those whose properties were damaged and had expenses due to the evacuation.

The province’s Health Department was asking people in the area with private wells not drink their water until after they have been tested.

Feeny said water was being tested, although he couldn’t say when the results would be known.


Stories continue below

Print this page

Related Stories