Winnipeg warehouse worker injured in blast
The accident also forced a nearby Canadian Pacific Rail freight train to come to a stop
WINNIPEG—A 55-year-old worker suffered serious injuries May 25 when a barbecue tank behind a Winnipeg business exploded.
The blast was felt for several blocks and produced a thick cloud of smoke.
“The worker was transported to hospital reportedly in critical condition,” Manitoba Workplace Safety said in a statement.
Staff at Ken’s Carpets confirmed the injured employee is warehouse manager Joe St. Laurent.
“We are shocked by the unexpected accident that took place today in our back parking lot,” the company said in a statement. “We are most concerned about our employee who was injured in the accident and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this time.”
The accident also forced a nearby Canadian Pacific Rail freight train to come to a stop while crews fought the fire.
Fire Chief Doug Martin said the arson team is investigating the blaze, but said that’s normal procedure and doesn’t mean arson is suspected as the cause.
Story from CTV Winnipeg