Business Council of Alberta launches Define the Decade task force to stimulate the economy
As part of the project, BCA is encouraging Albertans to share their perspective on Alberta’s future and submit their “Big Ideas” to make life better for Albertans.
Research & Development
Mining & Resources
CALGARY — On Aug. 4, the Business Council of Alberta (BCA) launches Define the Decade, a research and economic strategy initiative that will engage with Albertans to co-create a vision for Alberta’s future and a framework to move towards a more competitive, inclusive, and sustainable economy.
“Defining the next decade means understanding what matters to all Albertans and confronting, head-on, the challenges and opportunities in front of us,” says Susannah Pierce, President & Country Chair of Shell Canada, and Task Force Co-Chair. “This is not just about how to increase our competitiveness; it is also about social value. It is about thinking deeply and strategically about how—as business leaders—our investments can benefit everyone.”
“Alberta has been through some tough times recently, but our best days are in front of us if we plan for them on purpose. As we think about our future, we have an opportunity to look at Alberta with fresh eyes and begin a conversation between people, business leaders, and governments, about what a good life looks like a decade from now, and how we get there” says Adam Legge, President of the Business Council of Alberta.
This project is guided by a 14-member CEO Task Force, which includes:
- Susannah Pierce, President & Country Chair, Shell Canada (Co-Chair)
- Cory Janssen, Co-Founder & Co-CEO, AltaML (Co-Chair)
- Alex Pourbaix, President & CEO, Cenovus Energy
- Al Monaco, President & CEO, Enbridge
- Angela Lekatsas, President & CEO, Cervus Equipment
- Jason Pincock, CEO, DynaLIFE
- John Kousinioris, President & CEO, TransAlta
- Jordan Hokanson, President & CEO, Hokanson Capital
- Karen Brookman, President & CEO, WCD
- Kristi Cawthorn, CEO, Startec Compression & Process
- Rohit Gupta, President, Rohit Group of Companies
- Scott Bolton, President & CEO, UFA
- Sami Saad, CEO, Fort McKay Group of Companies
- Trent Fequet, CEO, Steel River Group
As part of the project, BCA is encouraging Albertans to share their perspective on Alberta’s future and submit their “Big Ideas” to make life better for Albertans in 2030 and beyond.
Part vision for Alberta’s future and part economic development strategy, Define the Decade has two primary aims:
- Create a unifying vision of what a good life and great Alberta looks like 10 years from now; and
- Develop the framework and pathways to get to that good life, including the economic environment needed to create investment and job creation which will support improved prosperity for Albertans.
BCA will be releasing interim reports and research throughout the process, with the final report due in January 2022.