Ontario could announce new restrictions to curb surging COVID-19 rates
The province's associate medical officer of health said that additional recommendations have been made to cabinet
TORONTO — Ontario could announce new public health restrictions today to curb surging cases of COVID-19 which are straining hospital capacity.
The province’s associate medical officer of health said that additional recommendations have been made to cabinet.
Dr. Barbara Yaffe said the situation in the province is “dire” and worse than any other point in the pandemic.
Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said “everything is on the table” when asked about possible new restrictions on Thursday.
She would not say what specific measures cabinet was considering, or could be announced today.
Ontario’s science advisory co-chair Dr. Adalsteinn Brown is also expected to provide an updated pandemic modelling briefing today.
The head of the Ontario Hospital Association said Friday the latest data from Critical Care Services Ontario show 684 COVID-19 patients in adult intensive care units, including 74 new admissions.
Meanwhile, another health network in Toronto says it will temporarily stop administering first doses of COVID-19 vaccines at two hospital-based clinics due to supply issues.
Unity Health says the clinics at St. Joseph’s and St. Michael’s hospitals will close Sunday for at least a week, though existing appointments will not be cancelled.
The decision was made so the network can focus on vaccinating high-risk groups, including health-care workers and residents in hot spot areas, through pop-up clinics, mobile outreach and home visits, Unity Health said on its website.
Earlier this week, Scarborough Health Network and University Health Network said they were forced to cancel appointments and close immunization clinics as a result of vaccine shortages.
Both have said they will reopen their clinics as soon as they receive more vaccines.