Canadian Manufacturing

Poor ventilation blamed for mass carbon monoxide poisoning at B.C. greenhouse

More than 40 people at Windset Farms in Delta, B.C. suffered from inhalation of a suspected chemical agent, which was determined by fire officials to be carbon monoxide

Print this page

DELTA, B.C.—A fire chief says poor ventilation at a Delta, B.C., greenhouse is to blame for sending dozens of workers to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Delta fire battalion chief Neil Shuster says an emergency call came in Saturday afternoon that at least 12 people at Windset Farms were suffering from inhalation of a suspected chemical agent.

He says once on scene, crews determined carbon monoxide was the culprit and at approximately 43 people required treatment on site.

The workers had been inside a greenhouse while a gas-powered pressure washer was running without adequate ventilation.

Representatives from Windset Farms did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Shuster says about 35 people were sent to hospital but all have since been released.

Print this page

Related Posts from the network