Volvo Cars Canada and Casca Footwear collaborate on a shoe
Incorporating sustainable design, the shoe is in recognition of the brands' shared vision for a carbon-neutral future.
Technology / IIoT
RICHMOND HILL — On September 22nd, World Car Free Day, Volvo Cars Canada and Casca footwear will launch a limited-edition sneaker inspired by the pure electric Volvo XC40 Recharge. The shoe will be available to Canadians for purchase ($198 CAD) at https://ca.casca.com/pages/volvoxcasca, on September 22, 2021.
Incorporating sustainable design, the shoe is in recognition of the brands’ shared vision for a carbon-neutral future.
“We’re excited to team up with Casca footwear who share similar values and combine our passions for sustainability, technology, and understated modern design,” said Matt Girgis, managing director of Volvo Car Canada Ltd. “At Volvo Cars, we are committed to setting the highest standards of sustainability in mobility and that goes beyond electrifying our fleet to transforming all aspects of our business. The shoe we have created with Casca in celebration of World Car Free Day, is one way to recognize the many steps we are taking on our journey to climate neutrality.”
“The Volvo XC40 Recharge was designed to reduce environmental impact, so it was the perfect inspiration for the shoe,” said Kevin Reid Lead Director and Co-Founder, Casca. “Through this collaboration we’re also celebrating many design firsts – our first shared design, our fastest production to market, and new recycled materials we’ve never used before.”
- THE SOLE – 10% of each sole is made from recycled car tire, the first time this material has ever been used in a Casca shoe as part of an intentional repurposing and recycling of materials.
- THE UPPER – 7 recycled plastic bottles are used to make the yarn for each breathable, flexible knit upper.
- HERITAGE – The Swedish flag is represented on one shoe tag, while the classic Casca yellow can be seen on the other, honouring the collaboration between the two brands as well as minimalist, Scandinavian design.
- INFLUENCES – The Thor hammer headlight influence can be seen in the linework and paneling, delivering a more performance-inspired aesthetic to Casca’s popular Avro silhouette.
- By 2025, Volvo Cars aims to increase the share of recycled and bio-based materials in their vehicles by 25%.
- By 2022, all of Casca’s knit uppers will be made from recycled or renewable materials.
- Volvo Cars’ global plants are powered by over 80% climate-neutral electricity with the aim to have 100% climate-neutral manufacturing operations by 2025.
- Casca leather treatments use low-energy UV processes, and a state-of-the-art treatment facility allows for 70% of the water to be recycled on-site.