TORONTO—Residents in a west-end Toronto neighbourhood were told to stay inside or steer clear of the area after a sulfuric acid fog was released from a manufacturing plant in the Bloor Street and Lansdowne Avenue area.
Police said the incident was first reported shortly before 10 a.m. Nov. 3 when a resident walked outside and witnessed a cloud of smoke and began coughing.
— Toronto Fire Service (@Toronto_Fire) 3 November 2016
Toronto Fire Capt. Michael Westwood says a combination of hydrochloric and sulphuric acid was mixed and released into the air, creating a fog that can be irritating if inhaled. 40 people took shelter in a Toronto Transit Commission bus until first responders deemed it was safe to go outside.
No serious injuries were reported, but fire officials said eight people were treated for minor throat and eye irritations as a result of the incident, which originated at the Nitta Gelatin plant at 60 Paton Rd.
In a statement Thursday afternoon, the company said a number of chemicals, including sulphuric acid, “were accidentally mixed together and the combination caused a chemical mist to fill the air.”
“This is the first incidence of this kind in Nitta Gelatin’s operational history,” the company added.
The plant processes animal products, such as pig skins, into gelatin, which is then used in food and pharmaceutical products.