Honda builds seven-millionth vehicle in Canada
by Canadian Manufacturing.com Staff
Honda became the first Japanese automaker to manufacture cars in Canada when it opened its Alliston, Ont., plant in 1986
MARKHAM, Ont—Honda has built its seven-millionth vehicle in Canada after 29 years of Canadian vehicle production at Honda of Canada Mfg (HCM) in Alliston, Ont.,
Honda became the first Japanese automaker to manufacture cars in Canada in 1986 when the company opened the doors of its Alliston plant. Since then, HCM has manufactured several models including the Honda Accord, Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline, as well as Acura EL, CSX and ZDX vehicles. The plant currently builds Honda CR-Vs and Civics, Canada’s best-selling passenger car for 17 consecutive years.
“More than 1.8 million Honda Civics have been proudly parked in driveways all over this country,” said Dave Gardner, senior vice president of operations, Honda Canada Inc. “Our plant capacity was 50,000 vehicles when we started and we’re now building in excess of 390,000 vehicles per year. This growth is attributed to the superior craftsmanship of the highly skilled Associates who have worked with us over the years to produce the quality and reliability that Honda customers truly value.”
Honda will donate the grey 2015 Honda Civic EX sedan to a registered non-profit charity.
Quick Honda of Canada Facts:
- In 1986, Honda was the first Japanese automobile company to open a manufacturing facility in Canada. The Honda Accord was the first vehicle manufactured.
- Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) began production at a second manufacturing facility in Alliston, Ontario in 1998, producing the Odyssey, Honda’s first full-size mini-van.
- A third manufacturing facility in Alliston, Ontario began producing four-cylinder engines in 2008.
- HCM employs more than 4,000 manufacturing employees.
- HCM has a production capacity of approximately 390,000 vehicles and 260,000 engines annually.
- HCM’s Plant 1 produces 820 vehicles per day and Plant 2 produces 800 vehicles per day.
- A new vehicle is driven off the production line at Plant 1 and Plant 2 almost every minute (63.4 seconds for Plant 1 and 64.2 seconds for Plant 2).