The recall that never ends: Toyota adds 1.6M vehicles to deadly Takata air bag recall
None of the vehicles in the expanded recall are in Canada, but cover much of the Japanese automaker's line-up
TORRANCE, Calif.—Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. has again expanded it’s recall of vehicles fitted with faulty Takata air bag inflators.
This time, Toyota has added nearly 1.6 million vehicles in the United States. None of the vehicles in the expanded recall are in Canada. The models involved in the expansion include:
- 2009 – 2011 Corolla sedan
- 2009 – 2011 Matrix hatchback
- 2006 – 2011 Yaris compact htachback
- 2010 – 2011 4Runner mid-size SUV
- 2011 Sienna minivan
- 2008 – 2011 Scion xB compact utility vehicle
- 2007 – 2011 Lexus ES luxury sedan
- 2010 – 2011 luxury mid-size SUV
- 2006 – 2011 Lexus IS luxury sports sedan
The vehicles involved in the latest recall expansion are equipped with a particular type of Takata inflator which, according to Takata, contains a safety defect that causes the air bag to explode with too much force when the air bag deploys.
Depending on the vehicle model, Toyota says dealers will replace the air bag inflator or the air bag assembly at no cost.