New feature, created by Clemson University and sponsored by Kodak, aims to provide real-time analytics of of the effect of package design on shoppers.
In an effort to show how the design of a package can influence the purchasing decision of the consumer at the point-of-purchase, PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011 is debuting the Consumer Retail Experience.
At the September 26–28, 2011 tradeshow held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, the new interactive feature will use digital eye tracking technology to track
what participants look at or were persuaded by as they walk through a simulated retail environment against what they purchase.
Created and staffed by Clemson University students and sponsored by Kodak, the exhibit will be located in the Upper South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
The Consumer Retail Experience will also include an area where participants can see packages in a virtual retail space. Images will change regularly during the show.
Following PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011, Clemson University will release two reports summarizing findings from the entire show. One report will analyze the impact of sustainability messaging; the other will measure the appeal of private label packaging versus name brand packaging.
There is no cost to attendees who participate in the Consumer Retail Experience. Participants will receive a personalized report detailing their own shopping experience.
“It’s clear that more and more brands are turning to packaging as a vehicle to build awareness and loyalty with consumers,” says Charles D. Yuska, president and chief executive officer of the Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI). “We created the Consumer Retail Experience to allow PACK EXPO Las Vegas attendees to experience for themselves how influential packaging is in a retail setting and how it drives consumer buying decisions.”
PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011 will include several other features that can help brand owners differentiate their products on the retail shelf:
- The sold-out Brand Zone will feature container and material innovation to help brands meet consumer demands for convenience, sustainability, portion control, sustainability and more. Additional material suppliers will be located throughout the Las Vegas Convention Center;
- Project 2020: The Consumer Experience will provide a glimpse into the future of packaging. This special display will be hosted by EskoArtwork in Booth #S5449;
- Material ConneXion will bring its dynamic, interactive materials display to The Brand Zone. The Material ConneXion exhibit will introduce new ideas, showcase emerging trends and demonstrate the essential link between material innovation and design. The exhibit’s primary focus will be material innovations for the packaging industry, but will also offer ideas for cross-industry pollination by highlighting materials from all areas of design;
- The Showcase of Packaging Innovations, sponsored by The Dow Chemical Co., featuring award-winning packaging from around the world;
- The 6th annual PACK EXPO Selects awards which recognize best-in-class consumer packaging by PACK EXPO Las Vegas exhibitors.
Join the Consumer Retail Experience
Consumer packaged goods companies in the baking and snack, confectionery, pharmaceutical/personal care and beverage sectors are invited to submit their packages for inclusion in the Consumer Retail Experience.
Participating companies will receive copies of both summary reports from Clemson University studies eight weeks after the show, with specific data about their products.
For more information about displaying a product in the Consumer Retail Experience, contact Maria Ferrante, vice-president education and workforce development, PMMI, via e-mail at email@example.com or 571-612-3195.
PMMI is a trade association of 560-plus member companies that manufacture packaging, processing and related converting machinery in the U.S. or Canada; machinery components and packaging containers and materials. PMMI’s vision is to be the leading global resource for packaging, and its mission is to improve and promote members’ abilities to meet the needs of their customers. PMMI organizes the PACK EXPO trade shows: PACK EXPO International, PACK EXPO Las Vegas and EXPO PACK México. Learn more about PMMI and the PACK EXPO trade shows at www.PMMI.org.
As the world’s foremost imaging innovator, Kodak helps consumers, businesses, and creative professionals unleash the power of pictures and printing to enrich their lives. To learn more, visit www.kodak.com.