A construction crew punctured a natural gas main forcing the evacuation of about 550 homes and businesses
HALIFAX—Fire officials say a natural gas leak in a Halifax neighbourhood has prompted the evacuation of about 550 homes and businesses.
Deputy fire Chief Roy Hollett says a construction crew working on Portland Street in Dartmouth punctured a 15-centimetre natural gas main at around 8:30 a.m. today.
Hollett says the evacuation zone is large because of the size of the gas main that was punctured.
He says no injuries have been reported.
Hollett says Heritage Gas is working to pinch off the line and contain the leak.
He says the evacuation will only be lifted when natural gas levels in the air return to normal.