New version covers welding procedures and loss management
—Sponsored article by CSA Group
CSA Group has announced updates to the key standard covering pipeline systems in Canada.
The seventh edition of the 2015 CSA Z662-15: Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems standard has new and expanded sections focusing on loss management systems, integrity management programs and engineering assessment processes. A new annex has been added to provide guidance on the development of qualification and welding procedure specifications.
“The new standard will also be our second standard available in an interactive version that can be downloaded to any mobile device and accessed remotely, on the job when you need it,” said Gianluca Arcari, executive director, standards and vice-president, CSA Group.
“We’ve had some excellent feedback on our interactive versions, and we plan to continue to modernize and make standards easier to use and more accessible.”
CSA Z662 covers the design, construction, operation, maintenance, deactivation, and abandonment of oil and gas industry pipeline systems used for:
• Liquid hydrocarbons, including crude oil, multiphase fluids, condensate, liquid petroleum products,
• Natural gas liquids and liquefied petroleum gas,
• Oilfield water/steam,
• Carbon dioxide used in oilfield enhanced recovery schemes,
A thorough understanding of the requirements of CSA Z662 is a critical element in the safe design, construction and maintenance of pipeline systems across Canada, CSA Group reported. The standard is referenced in legislation by provinces, territories and the federal government.
The new edition includes expert commentary directly in the standard document, making it a comprehensive resource when working on pipeline projects in compliance with this national standard.
Key Updates to Z662 include:
• Updates and revisions of the requirements for safety and loss management systems, integrity management programs and engineering assessments process,
• Expansion of Annex M to address system control, monitoring and protection for all hydrocarbon pipelines,
• Clarification of requirements for steam distribution pipelines and high temperature pipelines,
• Clarification of the “sour service” requirements for gas-free pipeline systems for crude oil, crude oil blends, and low vapour pressure condensate,
• New Annex to provide guidance on the development of qualification of welding procedure specifications,
• Addition of reference to new standard CSA Z245.30 – Field applied coatings for steel pipe.
The standard is available for sale online, by calling toll free 1-800 463 6727, or via email. From the new interactive standard, to related standards, codes and training, CSA Group has a variety of options available.
CSA Group works with businesses, organizations and code authorities all around the world to help create a safer, more sustainable world for people and for business. Visit CSA Group’s web site to learn more.
This article is part of the Safety & Sustainability Partner Centre. Visit the Centre for more articles on industrial safety and environmental standards.